After taking apart the suit, I ironed all the pieces so they were nice and flat:
Then, yep, the rest is pretty self explanatory. I laid out some paper and….. drumroll please….. traced the pieces! Although this dress didn't have much shaping, I made sure to include the darts and any other such bits for future renditions.
Got them all labeled, and now I have a new-old 1930s pattern!
I know that in the future I'll want to change the shaping and size of this ensemble just slightly, but these paper pattern pieces will give me a good place to start. (And I also noticed that not only do the shoulders look really sloped when worn, but the pattern pieces were actually very sloped, too! I think I'll be changing that on the next version. Not very flattering to my already-narrow-as-a-pencil shoulders)
Next up, we'll be DYEING THE DRESS! (This is the scariest part, to me!)